Razvan is an experienced structured project finance, corporate finance and investment banking professional with 23+ years of activity in global financial markets comprising private sector experience coupled with tenure with the World Bank.
He has proven ability to lead complex transactions and manage teams of professionals with his innovative and results-oriented approach. Razvan is a Fulbright scholar and proficient in multi-cultural and cross-functional environments.
Razvan has led teams to successfully deliver on complex cross-border, multi-tranche, multi-currency private and PPP project financings, including with credit enhancements structures and products from the World Bank Group, export credit agencies, DFIs, and private insurance.
Prior to joining MayCap, Razvan was Senior Infrastructure Finance Specialist, World Bank, Washington D.C and Director, Project & Export Finance, Standard Chartered Bank, Singapore & London. Some of Razvan’s notable experiences and transactions whilst at the World Bank are:
- Providing expertise and leadership in private financing strategies and structuring of project investments across a global multi-sector (energy, transport, water, agriculture) portfolio of engagements to assist governments to design PPPs, mobilize private/commercial capital investments, and create a balanced regulatory environment to ensure a more efficient and sustainable provision of public services
- Responsible for structuring credit enhancement solutions using the World Bank Guarantee instrument to help increase access to capital markets and mobilize private/commercial capital
- Engagements in Afghanistan, Armenia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam and several Central and Eastern European countries on projects (renewables, gas-to-power, toll roads, public transport, irrigation and agriculture) worth over US$10 billion in private and PPP investments
- Afghanistan Private IPP Projects and Power Sector Reform (Afghanistan, 2019-21): World Bank team engagement with the Government of Afghanistan (Ministry of Energy and Water) for power sector reform and support to procure, structure, negotiate and mobilize private capital (including with the use of World Bank guarantees) for greenfield and brownfield IPPs (in particular for four IPPs: Kajaki hydropower project; Herat PV solar project under World Bank Group’s “Scaling Solar” approach; Mazar and Sheberghan gas-fired projects)
- Uzbekistan Private IPP Projects and Power Sector Reform (Uzbekistan, 2018-19): World Bank engagement with the Government of Uzbekistan for power sector reform and support to competitively procure, structure, negotiate and mobilize private capital (including with the use of World Bank guarantees) for greenfield IPPs – starting with landmark pilot Navoi 100 MW solar PV project under World Bank Group’s “Scaling Solar” approach
- Vietnam Toll-Road PPP Projects and Road Transport Sector Reform (Vietnam, 2017-18): World Bank engagement with the Government of Vietnam (Ministry of Transport) for road transport sector reform and support to competitively procure, structure, negotiate and potentially mobilize private capital for greenfield toll road PPPs under the BOT scheme – specifically for certain sections of the country’s 4,000km North-South Expressway.
Some of Razvan’s notable experiences and transactions in the private sector are:
- Lead banker responsible for the structuring and execution of limited-recourse debt financing for the landmark greenfield c. USD 900mn 450MW gas-fired OCGT Azura-Edo IPP project, Nigeria
- Lead origination and execution of structuring and limited recourse debt financing for the 500MW gas-fired Century Power IPP project, Nigeria
- Lead banker responsible for the structuring and execution of landmark USD 820mn debt financing of greenfield 800MW LNG-fired Island Power IPP project (on a merchant power basis), Singapore
- Lead arranger for the USD 300+mn debt restructuring of MEASAT, Malaysia’s commercial satellite operator, Malaysia
- Lead arranger, USD 500+mn limited recourse debt financing of Theun Hinboun hydropower expansion project, Laos
- Lead arranger, USD 100+mn debt financing of the greenfield DP World-sponsored Saigon Container Port Terminal, Vietnam
- Lead arranger, USD 1.75bn debt financing of greenfield City of Dreams Casino project, Macau, China
- Buy-side advisor for equity acquisition and expansion financing for Sengkang gas-fired IPP, Indonesia
- Lead arranger, USD 1.58bn limited recourse debt financing of greenfield 1,070 MW Nam Theun 2 hydropower project, Laos
- Lead arranger, USD 315mn limited recourse debt financing of greenfield 1,434 MW BLCP coal-fired IPP project, Thailand
- Lead arranger for USD 50mn commercial guarantee for ECA-backed telecom equipment financing for P.T. Telkomsel, Indonesia
- Advisor to Tenaga Nasional as off-taker on PPA tariff structuring to Malaysia’s IPP programme (Tanjung Bin & Jimah greenfield IPP projects), Malaysia.